Truck Driver Class A
The Empire Company – Grand Rapids, MI 49503
Founded in 1946, Empire is one of the largest millwork distribution and manufacturing companies in the United States. Empire is a stable company that services the majority of the Eastern half of the country, and is well positioned for continued expansion. Empire has a dynamic company culture, and offers competitive benefits.
The Empire Company is looking for a motivated, active individual that thrives in a physical fast-paced environment for a full-time Class A-Truck Driver in our Zeeland facility. In this role, you will deliver materials and merchandise to customers in a safe and timely manner, representing Empire with courtesy and professionalism, and work in the warehouse in various material positions as needed.
What you will do:
- Secure loads by ratcheting down straps multiple times each day using 120-180 lbs. of force.
- Open and close curtains on trailer to facilitate loading and unloading multiple times each day using 80-100 lbs. of force.
- Throw load straps over material multiple times each day with height of 13’ and depth of 8’6” using 20 lbs. of force.
- Delivers materials and merchandise to customers as directed by Empire Traffic Departments.
- Drives a tractor trailer or straight truck in a safe manner, obeying all rules of travel.
- Supervises unloading and maintains all delivery/pick-up related paperwork. Notes discrepancies on Bills of Lading, delivery tickets and other Empire required documents.
- Adheres to all local/state/federal Department of Transportation regulations.
- Keeps required fuel, stop-per-mile, trip sheets, and DOT logs accurate, up-to-date, and compliant with all regulatory requirements.
- Follows all safety rules and operates equipment in a safety-conscious manner.
- Performs routine maintenance of truck (i.e. checking/maintaining fluid levels, cleaning, etc.)
- Maintains a neat appearance in grooming, hygiene, and wearing company uniform or other appropriate clothing.
- Makes accurate deliveries in accordance with Empire procedures.
- Fills in for differing truck routes, as needed.
- Works in warehouse in other positions as needed and must meet all requirements of material handler position.
- Additional responsibilities as assigned.
What you will need for this role:
- Minimum of one-year commercial driving experience; two to three years preferred.
- CDL Class A certification.
- Ability to communicate clearly and understandably in English.
- Basic math skills.
- Ability to learn product inventory and warehouse layout and operations.
- Demonstrated ability to keep accurate and compliant DOT Driver Logs.
- Ability to lift up to 100 lbs.; must meet physical requirements of Material Handler position.
- Valid Commercial Driver’s License with acceptable motor vehicle record.
- Must be able to withstand exposure to seasonal weather elements and wood dust.
- Up to 5% – Climbing and balancing
- Up to 10% – Standing, walking, working bent at the waist, reaching above shoulder height, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
- Up to 30% – Repetitive motion
- Up to 40% – Use hands to manipulate, handle or feel
- Up to 50% – Reaching with hands and arms
- Up to 60% – Sitting, bending/twisting and squeezing/grasping with hands
- Up to 80% – Activities requiring depth perception and operating moving equipment/driving
- Up to 100% – Use hands to manipulate, handle or feel
- Must be able to lift, push or pull up to 50 lbs. without assistance
- Must be able to lift, push or pull up to 100 lbs. with assistance
- Throw up to 20 lbs. of force
- Push/pull 80 – 180 lbs. of force
Job Type: Full-time
- Truck Driving: 3 years
Required license or certification:
- CDL A